For about a year, I’ve been an on-and-off smoker. Much to the chagrin of friends, family and people in general, I smoke then I quit then I stress and then I smoke again.It’s frustrating – for everyone involved.
I’ve used aids – the patch and the gum. They work for a while, but I’ve always ended up addicted to the aids and when I stop using them I wind up smoking again.
The physical addiction is a major seduction, I can’t deny that. I’m not so naïve as to puff out my chest and say, “Bah, I can quit any time. I just don’t want to.”
That would be a lie.
But, I have quit many times. Quit for much longer than the three days it takes for the nicotine to remove itself from my system.
My love-hate relationship with nicotine has caused me to wonder what keeps me on the smokes. I’ve reached the conclusion that smokers get much more from cigarettes than a simple nicotine fix.
The social aspect is a huge draw, and forcing smokers to take their habit outside has contributed to that. Now, I’m not saying that smoking should be allowed to smoke in buildings. I’m not going to deny the risks of second-hand smoke. I believe all the health risks.
Smoking forces you to idly stand around for a few minutes with other people with whom you share a specific commonality. It’s awkward to bounce from foot to foot staring at some stranger blankly, so people talk.

No comments:
Post a Comment